Wednesday 7 March 2012

Millinery

During my University course, we had a 2 week Millinery course. I chose my ideas on Millinery from the Internet and Books.

For Men

I picked the final idea as a Newsboy Cap from the 1910s and 1930s because I found this design interesting with the fabrics used and the pattern.



I made 2 different types of Newsboy caps.

No.1 This is a 6 piece triangle cap using Knitting Wool fabric.



No.2 This is an 8 piece triangle cap using Pattern Wool fabric. I also made other caps because it was difficult to match the fabric patterns and I wanted something different like adding an extra 2 triangles to make a wider triangle and to be different from the first cap.



I also added sone cardboard called 'Buckram' into the peak.

For Women

I was in love with the 1920s Cloche Hat because it's beautiful, soft and flexible. It was constructed by hand sewing techniques so I wanted to try this too.



During...


I used the wood hat block and covered with Cling Film to help stop the brown Felt sticking to the block.


I added wet brown felt onto the block using my palms and thumb to smooth it out and left it to dry over night.


When the felt had dried, I made my own basic Cloche Hat then using my own ideas, I added a wire using blanket stitch to help it stay in the right place.

The Final



No comments:

Post a Comment