Tuesday 8 January 2013

Individual Project - The Duchess

For my project, I picked a film called 'The Duchess' because I love the 18th Century fashion era and the different costumes and different of fashions like Maternity outfits, early 1800s fashions and workwear.


I picked a costume called 'Fox' because Georgia wore a blue uniform with Fox coloured fur on the puff to support Charles Fox on Election day in 1784. I researched into Georgia's life in late 1700s.




I found the oringial design by Costume Designer Michael O'Connor, I needed to copy the design of this outfit, compare the fabric and pattern block.



During the work on the construction, I first made from calico for fitting and I found a model who was good height and body shape. Later I started making the real costume, always checking the costume fit on the model. I also double checked on the Corset, Waistcoat and Jacket to ensure there were no mistakes or complications.





Finally it's finished and I received a good mark from my Tutor, also I loved the exhibition and display of my work because we had an external examiner as well.



This is my costume work taken by a professional photographer.








I really enjoyed working on this project and I learned a lot and improved my sewing skills. I would have loved to have made the hat but there was lots of work to do and I was not sure where to get a fox's tail. There was also a lot of hand sewing so there was not enough time which I was disappointed by.

2 comments:

  1. You made a fabulous job of the costume: very talented! I'm going to try it myself.

    ReplyDelete