Tuesday 8 January 2013

Mid 19th Century Crinoline (Repairs)

I was given this by the Royal House Opera Store in Aberdare, I received it in very bad condition, it was damaged and the crinoline was torn. I wanted to use it for my Janet Arnold 1864 Pink evening dress.

Before






The steel Boning was pointing out and very sharp having no safety tape on the ends, it would not be allowed to be worn by an Actress because it's dangerous and could hurt a person wearing it and possibly could damage the costume.

The shape of Crinoline was not good because the boning was already coming apart!

During...


I had to cut and file down the steel boning with its sharp edges and square corners to a nice curve adding safety tape on the ends. Later on, I had balance the 1860s Crinoline, I was researching the 1860s fashion of Crinolines. I taped the boning to keep it strong so it would not fall apart.

After







The crinoline looks beautiful, I had changed a bit of 1860s crinoline shape and I had smoothed the wire of the steel boning. Later I added the 1864 Evening dress over it ready for some professional Photography.

No comments:

Post a Comment